Rescue League, Inc.
P.O. Box 44201, Fort Washington, MD 20749
Fax (866) 625-4630 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
prospective homes with the welfare of our rescued
dogs in mind first and foremost. Our dogs have
already lost the security of their original homes
and some have been abused, abandoned or neglected.
We need to place them in stable forever homes
where they will be loved and well cared for. Being
shifted from one home to another home or shelter
is confusing and can be very traumatic for the
dog. For this reason, we look for homes where
there isn't a lot of stress.
Over the last 30 years we have developed the following guidelines that work for the welfare of both our Basset Hounds and the prospective adoptive family. Our minimum fee for placement and adoption starts at $250 and is determined on the basis of age and costs incurred by BHRL on behalf of this pet. The adoption fees go entirely to pay for health care and other expenses associated with rescuing these loveable dogs.
In order to adopt a BHRL dog, the following requirements should be met:
1. Homeowners preferred (townhomes, short-term rentals, roommate situations, condos and apartments are often not approved)
2. Dog not left alone for 7+ hours a workday with no access to backyard (e.g. doggy door or a dog walker or a neighbor that can walk the dog)
3. Dog sleeps indoors at night
4. Fenced yard required for hound breeds
5. Swimming pools must be fenced
6. Children 8 years or older preferred (especially with Basset Hounds, as dogs get older they often do not get along with very young children and this is the #1 reason that dogs are given up to us).
7. Stairs need to be blocked off for short legged breeds to prevent back injuries
8. An Adoption Agreement will be signed by the adopter(s) and BHRL when the dog is placed permanently.
9. If, for any reason, the dog must be given up after adoption, it will be returned to BHRL, unless the agent of BHRL approves the transfer to another party and a new Adoption Agreement is completed.
*** IF YOU ARE NOT SURE IF YOU MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS, E-MAIL US FIRST AND EXPLAIN YOUR SITUATION, THE ABOVE ARE ESPECIALLY ENFORCED WITH BASSET HOUNDS, BUT OTHER BREEDS WE MAY MAKE EXCEPTIONS FOR. ***
If you are interested in adopting a dog, please click on Adoption Form below, print the form, fill in the form (please print clearly), and mail or fax the completed form to BHRL at the above address.